Monday, May 30, 2016

Mid-Year Hair Resolutions

The below are my mid-year goals. My hair rests at 20 inches (mid-back length) and I am trying to retain the last three inches that will get me to waist length. I want to achieve waist length by December. My end goal is tail bone length (tbl) hair at 29 inches.
It might be difficult to tell where exactly the waist, hip, and tailbone are so I use the above pictures for reference. In my opinion, where these markers fit on me is as in the pictures above:
BSL (bra strap length): the top of the bra strap
MBL (mid back length): the bottom of the bra strap
WSL (waist length): where you bend sideways
HL (hip length): pelvic bone
TBL (tail bone length): right above the butt crack
CL (classic length): right below the butt
1.) Hair Scissors and NOT Snapping By Hand. Snapping off slips and single strand knots causes more splits and damaged hair.
2.) Full Deep Conditioning Detail (drying it enough before I apply the deep conditioner. Then I let the conditioner sit for 30 minutes and warming it using my body heat) I use a moisturizing deep conditioner once a week.
3.) Upping my protein intake. I'm a vegetarian and I need 36g of protein (You measure your protein intake by multiplying your weight in kilograms with 0.8 more information can be found here and you can use the protein intake calculator here). When you are on a healthy hair journey, you need to be as healthy as possible. Vitamins, nutrients, and water go to the vital parts of your body first before it goes to your hair and nails. If you are lax in keeping up with your nutrition, then your hair will suffer. Moreover, your hair is made of protein. It is in fact dead protein. You need to make sure you are getting adequate amounts of protein to keep your hair in good shape.  At the moment, my protein shake (Spiru-tein) has 6.25g of protein. I want to try a higher protein shake so I'm going to check out

Warrior Blend Plant-based Protein. I tried Spiru-tein for the spirulina, but it does not disclose how much spirulina is actually in the shake so I'll just take spirulina as a supplement. Anyway, WBPP vanilla flavor has 19g of protein, much more than Spiru-tein's 6.25g. 

4.) Vitamin Intake. I'm trying out Mielle Organics hair vitamins and GNC Ultra NourisHair vitamins.  A long with these, I take omega 3 pills and my protein shake has the same nutritional supplements as a multi vitamin.
5.) Protective styles during the week, low manipulation styles during the weekend. Protective styling as pigtails (braids to minimize single strand knots). Low manipulation styles as perm rod updos (stretched to minimize single strand knots). I get single strand knots easiest when I wear braidouts, twistouts, and wash n gos because my very curly hair wraps around itself.
6.) Keep up with the Monthly Search & Destroy Sessions. After each session, my hair gets noticeably less single strand knots and it is easier to deal with.
7.) Increased water intake. I want to make sure I get 1/2 my body weight in ounces of water a day, so I need to make sure to drink 50 oz of water. Drinking water leads to moisturized and healthy hair.
8.) Exfoliate Scalp 1x Week. A clogged scalp can lead to thin hair, growth retardation, and increased shedding. I will make sure to exfoliate my scalp before I shampoo once a week.


Do anyone else have Mid-Year Hair Resolutions?
Would you join me in following these resolutions?
Who else is with me to get the three inches for the last 6 months of this year?
This picture was taken November 2015. Hopefully WSL will take me to the line there.

Happy hair growing!

No comments:

Post a Comment