Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Do You Want to Be Featured on RC?



Hey!

I am accepting applications for my #FridayFeatures! This is a new segment where on a Friday I will post a blog post that will tell YOUR Healthy Hair Story!
I will post anyone's hair story. Just fill out the information below and send the information to rapunzelsconsultant@outlook.com

APPLICATION
Are you relaxed, natural, or transitioning? 
How long is your hair (inches or by milestone--Shoulder Length, Bra Strap Length, etc)? 
What can you tell me about your hair before you started your Healthy Hair Journey (HHJ)? 
What was the catalyst that started your journey? 
How did you learn to take care of your hair? What was your starter regime (if you remember)? 
How was other's reactions to you starting your HHJ? 
How do they feel now that you've been on a HHJ? 
What is your current regime and your holy grail products? 
Do you have any hair issues or problem areas that you are working on? 
What are your long-term and short-term hair goals (This can be in terms of length or just increased hair moisture retention)? 
Please include pictures! 

As an example, here are my answers. I answered short-handed for some questions because my whole hair journey can be found on the page "Hair Journey" and my current hair regime can be found on the page "Hair Regime".

Are you relaxed, natural, or transitioning? Natural
How long is your hair (inches or by milestone--Shoulder Length, Bra Strap Length, etc)? Midback Length, 21 inches
What can you tell me about your hair before you started your Healthy Hair Journey (HHJ)?
In high school, it hovered around ear and neck length. Starting in 2011, it hovered around shoulder-length and arm pit length. It was damaged, breaking, and hard to control.
What was the catalyst that started your journey?  
I was tired of being ignorant about my own hair. Others threw it in my face that I knew nothing of how to style and take care of my hair.
There were several catalysts:

  • When my sister didn't feel like doing my hair and/or I couldn't afford it, but I had school. I would have a mini-meltdown in the girl's restroom of my high school looking at my unkempt, out of control hair. I had no idea what to do with it and anytime I would touch it, it would break. A few were sympathetic but most made me feel horrible for the state of my hair. I was not allowed to touch my hair after accidentally pulling my hair out at 7 years old. Therefore I had no idea how to care for it, and I suffered for this ignorance during high school. I've literally cried over my hair.
  • Walking around in public with unkempt, ugly hair, and it caused my self-esteem to plummet. 
  • Having family members make fun of me for my hair and refusing to style my hair. 
  • Unable to fix my sew-ins when they started looking bad.  

I knew I had to take my hair care in my own hands. I was tired of being at the mercy of my family members (they could easily decide not to do my hair, and then my hair would look horrible), and I was tired of going around hating my hair. I was tired of relying on sew-ins and having ugly hair. I wanted long, beautiful hair, and finding African American women on hair forums and blogs who were able to grow out their short, damaged hair gave me hope and motivation. Honestly though, the ridicule I received in regards to my hair was the highest form of motivation.

How did you learn to take care of your hair? What was your starter regime (if you remember)?  
I used Google a lot. I subscribed to a lot of hair blogs and lurked on LongHairCareForum for hours. I was desperate. I was tired of my low-self esteem and self-consciousness that stemmed from hating my hair and not knowing how to care for and style it. I do not remember my hair regime at the time.
How was other's reactions to you starting your HHJ?
I had a whole bunch of people who didn't believe that I could grow my hair. My brother believed in me, and recently he told me that he'd never thought I'd grow my hair as long as I did. It made me feel good because he was my #1 believer while others laughed at my dreams. I've also heard from many that they believed it was impossible for black girls to grow their hair long. Now their hair is shorter than mine!
How do they feel now that you've been on a HHJ? Many who knew my hair as short and brittle are amazed at how much my hair grew.
What is your current regime and your holy grail products?
Wash 2x week, PT 1-2x month Scalp exfoliator 2x week Search & Destroy 1x month.
Low manipulation styles always.
 I alternate products and I am in search of my holy grail products. However, usually I've been using the full Mielle Organics line for everything from my shampoo, cowash, deep conditioner, leave-in and my scalp oil mix (their Mint Almond Oil is the basis for my scalp oil mix). My protein treatment is Aphogee 2 Min and I've been using it when my hair feels like it needs it (has been 1-2x month lately). I've been using Neutrogena T/Sal Scalp Build-Up Control Shampoo for my scalp exfoliator.
Do you have any hair issues or problem areas that you are working on? My crown area is my problem area. It breaks easier than the other areas. It needs more TLC than the others and perhaps more moisture (I'm still not 100% sure what's wrong with it and I hope this Komaza Care Hair Analysis will help me out in pinpointing what's going on there). The hair issue I'm combating is moisture loss in this summer heat and humidity. I am currently focusing on moisture retention.
What are your long-term and short-term hair goals (This can be in terms of length or just increased hair moisture retention)?  
  • Short-term (Hopefully reached by Dec. 2017) Tailbone Length Straight
  • Long-term (Who knows when) Bra-strap length or Tailbone Length curly 
  • Hair in a perpetual moisturized state

Please include pictures!  
Hair Curly Goal

Straight Hair Goals.TBL. Chicoro

Moisturized State Goals--Beautifully Hydrated. Chicoro

Straight Hair Goals-TBL. Chicoro

Hair BSL-TBL curly goal

Hair Curly Goal

Hair Curly Goal

Hair Curly Now-Shoulder Length. Healthy Hair Journey is far from Complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment